Senior Software Developer - The Rackspace Cloud Job
Date: May 20, 2013
Location: Blacksburg, VA, 24060, US
Senior Software Developer - The Rackspace Cloud - 17111
This details all the information about the job posting. To submit your resume, click on the 'Submit your Resume to this Job' button.
Job TitleSenior Software Developer - The Rackspace Cloud
Category Software Development
Location US-VA-Blacksburg Blacksburg, VA 24060, US
Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full-time
Travel Required 0
Rackspace is looking for a Senior Software Developer with a Linux systems engineering background to work on our large-scale, mail storage infrastructure. This team is responsible for a variety of e-mail storage backend subsystems serving millions of users, including storage, search and backup of messages.
At Rackspace, you will have the opportunity to work with a variety of open source solutions and programming languages. You will also work as part of an Agile team of software developers, systems engineers and testers, designing and developing solutions using the best engineering practices in the industry.
This position is located in Blacksburg, VA, a town in southwest Virginia nestled on a plateau between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains, and is the home of Virginia Tech. You’ll be doing world-class development for a cloud computing leader in a beautiful location with a temperate climate and very little commute time. Relocation is available for this position.
- Translate product vision and requirements into software design
- Write clean, maintainable code following best practices (unit testing, source control, continuous integration, automation, design patterns, etc.)
- Debug code and troubleshoot problems
- Collaborate with other developers, QAs/SDETs (Software Development Engineer in Test), Operations engineers, and Support engineers to ensure smooth roll-outs, continual operation and fanatical support of quality software
- Follow Agile Scrum methodology, working alongside software developers and product owners
- 4-8 years overall professional software development experience
- 2+ years of scripting language development experience (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience working in a Linux/Unix development environment
- Experience with design principles (patterns, cohesion/coupling, S.O.L.I.D.)
- Experience with good engineering practices (test driven development, continuous integration and pair programming, etc.)
- Familiarity with object oriented development principles
- Ability (and enthusiasm) in mentoring less experienced developers
Nice to have:
- Experience developing in Java or C#
- Familiarity with Internet e-mail protocols (POP, IMAP, SMTP) and e-mail architecture
- Experience working with a large-scale system (100+ servers)
- Experience developing web applications and services
- Experience with relational databases (preferably MySQL)
- Experience with Agile methodologies (Scrum, XP, Lean, Kanban, etc.)
- Experience with geographically dispersed teams
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment concepts
- Familiarity with Apache Lucene search engine
Rackspace, a world leader in hosting, delivers enterprise-level managed hosting, cloud hosting, and e-mail hosting services to businesses of all types and sizes globally. Today we serve thousands of customers from data centers around the world. Rackspace integrates the industry's best technologies and practices for each customer's specific needs delivering it as a service via the company's commitment to Fanatical Support®. We serve as an extension of our customers' IT departments enabling them to focus on their core business. Rackspace was founded in 1998 and since then has had significant growth year after year. There are now over 4,000 Rackers employed worldwide dedicated to providing customers our premier hosting services.
Rackspace Hosting is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Type of Job(-US Only) 0
Nearest Major Market: Blacksburg
Nearest Secondary Market: Virginia
Job Segments: Developer, Cloud, Engineer, Testing, Linux, Technology, Engineering