Software Developer - Test Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX, US
Req #: 17607
Category: Quality Assurance
Location(s): US-TX-San Antonio
Shift: First Shift
Rackspace® (NYSE: RAX) is the global leader in hybrid cloud and founder of OpenStack®, the open-source operating system for the cloud. Hundreds of thousands of customers look to Rackspace to deliver the best-fit infrastructure for their IT needs, leveraging a product portfolio that allows workloads to run where they perform best—whether on the public cloud, private cloud, dedicated servers, or a combination of platforms. The company's award-winning Fanatical Support® helps customers successfully architect, deploy, and run their most critical applications. Headquartered in San Antonio, TX, Rackspace operates data centers on four continents. Rackspace is featured on Fortune's list of 100 Best Companies to Work For.
Overview & Responsibilities
Rackspace is looking for Software Developers in Test (SDT) to join our Quality Engineering Organization. As an SDT you will be given the responsibility of writing test automation for OpenStack in our Private Cloud product line. In this role you will write test code using Python.
Our Quality Engineering Organization brings engineering talent to the forefront and works closely with development to continuously deliver code to our customers that is reliable, scalable, and functional. We are looking for technical development engineers that have experience in testing and who will help us continue our mission of providing a high quality experience for our customers, while working in a collaborative, dynamic and fun environment.
If you like being challenged and want to continue to learn and grow while bringing your best every single day – then being an SDT at Rackspace is for you. Join us at a company that has an award-winning culture and a set of core values that you can stand behind. Come to Rackspace and be a Quality Engineering Racker!
This position will report directly to QE Director, Private Cloud, and is based in San Antonio, Texas.
- Writes and executes automated test scripts using a pre-defined framework
- Writes positive and negative smoke and regression test scripts to test product functionality and integration with dependencies
- Tests APIs, user interfaces, web services and/or web applications
- Writes performance, load, and stress tests utilizing a pre-defined framework
- Participates in code reviews
- Low to mid level of contribution to Openstack test suites, as applicable
- Participates in code reviews
- Collaborates with other quality and development engineers to build, evolve, and maintain a scalable continuous build and deployment pipeline
- 3-5 years of development test automation experience
- BS in Computer Science or technical related degree or equivalent experience
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly, and apply them accurately through an evolving, dynamic environment
- Strong knowledge of web protocols, networking, and systems
- Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of one of the following languages: Python, Ruby, Java, or C++
- Experience with Linux, such as Red Hat or Ubuntu and/or Windows
- Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of Unix shell scripting
- Strong understanding of XML, XSD, JSON, WSDL, and SOAP
- Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of a UI automation tool such as Selenium, QTP, or Silk
- Ability to refactor code and participate in iterative development
- Basic knowledge of open source tools such as curl, JMeter
- Medium to Strong knowledge of continuous integration and delivery concepts
- Ability to create technical documentation
- Strong knowledge of performance, load, and stress testing
- Experience working within an agile development process (Scrum, XP, Kanban, etc.) from the test design, test automation, and execution perspective
- Ability to analyze and translate requirements and development stories into test scripts
- Strong working knowledge of QA processes and methodologies
- Strong knowledge of Cloud computing concepts
- Working knowledge of object oriented programming
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong time management skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong understanding of software/testing methodologies such as TDD
- Experience working in Cloud computing
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Rackspace is committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Nearest Major Market: San Antonio
Job Segments: Developer, Cloud, Linux, Java, Unix, Technology